The Islandus watch is available in a 44 mm steel case with a choice of black or white dials with Roman or Arabic numerals, Breguet hands, Ostrich, Alligator or Steel bracelet. Date display is located at 6 o'clock. It has a Swiss Made Mechanical movement “Execution Top” with Automatic winding, 25 jewels, Custom decorations, Blue screws and Rhodium plated finish, which can be examined in detail, through its sapphire crystal case back. The decoration is in the highest traditions of craftsmanship.
Collection Islandus 44mm
The Islandus collection is available in a 44 mm steel case with a choice of black or white dials with Roman or Arabic numerals, Breguet hands, Ostrich, Alligator or Steel bracelet. Date display is located at 6 o'clock. It has a Swiss Made Mechanical movement “Execution Top” with Automatic winding, 25 jewels, Custom decorations, Blue screws and Rhodium plated finish, which can be examined in detail through a sapphire crystal case back. All decorations and craftsmanship is of the highest quality.
- Swiss Made Mechanical movement “Execution Top”
- Automatic winding
- 25 jewels, Custom decorations, Blue screws and Rhodium plated finish.
- 42-hour power reserve when fully wound.
- Fine tuning: “Assortment Chronometer”.
- Shock protection: Incabloc.
- Adjusted to five positions.
- Material: Surgical grade German Stainless Steel "316L".
- Diameter: 44mm, height 11.5mm.
- Surface finish: Highly polished.
- Curved Sapphire Crystal with multi anti reflective coating on the inside.
- See-through Sapphire Crystal back.
- Water-resistance: 50 meters.
- Lug width: 22mm
- Black Brilliant with Roman or Arabic numerals.
- White Brilliant with Roman or Arabic numerals.
- Silver finish with Roman numerals.
- Date display at six o'clock.
- Colors: Rhodium plated, White, Gold or Flame Blued by special order.
- Handmade 22mm Ostrich, Ostrich leg or Genuine Alligator with JS Watch co. Reykjavik buckle or optional deployment clasp.
- Steel bracelet also available.
AVAILABLE STRAPS FOR THIS MODEL
The brilliance and innovation of Sölvi
I am gold and glory,
a loving gilded treasure.
I am a gem and jewel,
The Lord’s equal measure.
This is how the vagabond, Sölvi Helgason, described himself in a stanza. He never doubted his own genius and believed that he was the foremost authority on art, science, debate, oratory and mathematics. To fit his stature, he decided to call himself “Solon Islandus” and acquired the quintessential scholar’s apparel, the overcoat and glasses. He was resigned to breaking the law, wandering the country and begging for a living, because most 19th century Icelandic farmers believed that this penniless braggart, who was raised in the country while never putting in an honest day’s work, was an unbearable and untrustworthy rambler. Many would sic their dogs on him on sight, but some enjoyed his pretence and discourse enough to let him spend the night. Bólu-Hjálmar, the celebrated Icelandic poet, was amongst the latter and wrote this about Sölvi:
A philosopher arrived in beggar’s garb.
Spectacled he walked on skis,
Lack of fortune his lasting disease.
In days gone by, it was widely believed that experts in the art of mathematics could accomplish amazing things, including calculating babies into the womb. It is said that Sölvi bragged about a competition against a world famous mathematician in Copenhagen, where he won by calculating triplets into a distinguished and magnificent African woman.
When we at JS Watch Co. Reykjavik took it upon ourselves to calculate a distinguished and magnificent watch into the world, we realized that it needed some of the brilliance and innovation of Sölvi. It had to be powered by the bearer and its design and construction needed to be inspired by 19th century timepieces. It isn’t likely that the genius, Solon Islandus, ever owned a watch.Therefore, we decided to honour him as one of the first commoners to live according to his own rules, making a name for himself as an artist of life. Naturally, a great deal of expertise in the art of mathematics was needed to assemble a watch of this calibre, ISLANDUS. After two years in production, the watch grew to 44 mm and the number 12 stands out on the watch face in a bright red colour. If Solon Islandus had been given the chance to design a timepiece, it would certainly have been like ISLANDUS, no compromises, with high quality and standards throughout.